Key Stage 4 - English Literature
                                Key subject aims:
                                        · To engage with and develop the ability to read, understand and respond to a wide range of literary texts from around the world
                                        · To develop an appreciation of the ways in which authors achieve their effects and develop the skills necessary for literary study
                                        · To explore through literature the cultures of their own and other societies
                                        · To find enjoyment in reading literature and understand its influence on individuals and societies.
What we do:  Edexel IGCSE examination
· Pupils complete an extended piece of coursework on poetry which counts towards 40% of their final grade. The other 60% is an examination on prose and drama.
What we study:
· Drama: A View from the Bridge by Arthur Miller
Set in Red Hook, New York in the 1950s, this play explores the relationships between members of a family of Italian origin and the tragic consequences of jealousy and betrayal.
· Drama: Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
One of Shakespeare´s most famous plays, and very popular with students, Romeo and Juliet explores forbidden love. This gives pupils a stimulating and accessible opportunity to read Shakespearean language.
· Prose: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Set in the United States during the Great Depression, this novel looks at loneliness and the importance of friendship in our lives. Students enjoy reading this classic, as it has many themes to which they can relate.
· Poetry: We study the Edexcel Anthology which has a wide range of poems from various cultures and eras, ranging from Shakespeare to 20th century African writers. This allows pupils to empathise and understand points of view which are different from their own, and helps develop tolerance and understanding.
The examination questions have been designed to allow all students to make a personal, informed response to the texts studied.  The specification offers an enjoyable and stimulating introduction to the study of English Literature and encourages reading of literature from around the world. Pupils enjoy stimulating discussion of topics and themes raised and learn to widen their perspective on the world as well as developing their reasoning and oral skills.
                      ST. ANNE´S SCHOOL, S.A.U, CIF A78527827 AVENIDA ALFONSO XIII, 162, 28016 MADRID Teléfono: 91 345 90 60 Fax: 91 345 36 68. Registro Mercantil de Madrid, Tomo 2630, Libro 0, Folio 29 Sección 8, Hoja M-45679, Inscripción 10 AVISO LEGAL  -  POLÍTICA DE PRIVACIDAD