The Edexcel International GCSE (9-1) in Religious Studies
This qualification enables students to:
• Acquire knowledge and develop understanding of religious beliefs, values and traditions, through the study of one (namely
Christianity) or more of the six major world religions.
• Acquire knowledge and develop understanding of key religious ideas which are not specific to any one religion, and of non-religious beliefs and values.
• Consider the influence of religious beliefs, values and traditions and of non-religious beliefs and values.
• Consider religious and non-religious responses to ethical issues.
• Identify, investigate and respond to fundamental questions of life raised by religion and human experience, including questions about the meaning and purpose of life.
• Develop skills relevant to the study of religion.
In Year 10
Beliefs and Values
Section 1: The Universe, Creation and the Place of Human Beings
• The universe and the Place of Human Beings
• Human nature and the human condition
• Selfishness, greed, ignorance and sin
• Free will, determinism and predestination
• Ultimate Reality
• Belief, Uncertainty and Unbelief
• The Problem of Evil and Suffering
Section 2: Life and Death
• Death and life after death
• The Meaning and Purpose of Life
• Sanctity of life, Abortion and Euthanasia
• Human relationships
• Marriage and partnership
• Divorce and remarriage
• Family structures and responsibilities
• Childlessness and celibacy
Section 3: Peace and Conflict
• Conflict and War
• Peace, Reconciliation and Forgiveness
• Sin and Crime
• Capital Punishment
Section 4: Rights, Equality and Social Justice
• Human Rights
• Equal Rights and Equal Opportunities
• The Multi-Ethnic Society and Racial Harmony
• The Multi-Faith Society and Interfaith Relationships
• Relationships between Rich and Poor.
In Year 11
The Religious Community
Section 1: Origins and their Impact on the Community
• Religious texts and sources of authority
• Founders and leaders
Section 2: Celebration and Pilgrimage
• Festivals and Celebration
• Places of Pilgrimage
Section 3: Worship and Practice
• Places of Worship
• Forms of Worship
At the end of Year 11 students complete
• Paper 1: Beliefs and Values
• Paper 2: The Religious Community
Overview of assessment:
Paper 1 examination lasting 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Paper 2 examination lasting 1 hour and 30 minutes
ST. ANNE´S SCHOOL, S.A.U, CIF A78527827 AVENIDA ALFONSO XIII, 162, 28016 MADRID Teléfono: 91 345 90 60 Fax: 91 345 36 68. Registro Mercantil de Madrid, Tomo 2630, Libro 0, Folio 29 Sección 8, Hoja M-45679, Inscripción 10 AVISO LEGAL - POLÍTICA DE PRIVACIDAD